Ah, yes, the classic removal technique for the average DIYer. As a ~hot~ tip (literally), try warming up your acetone before starting, which will help it work faster and more effectively on your nails. (Note: Acetone is incredibly flammable, so don’t microwave it—just run the bottle under warm water for a few minutes.)
- Carefully clip off your excess acrylics, cutting them as close as possible to your real nails.
- Using a nail buffer, rough up the surface of the polish until the shine is completely gone. Removing the top layer helps the polish soften faster in the acetone.
- Pour 100 percent acetone into a tray or bowl and soak your nails in it for five minutes.
- With a metal cuticle pusher, gently push the polish off your nails, pushing from your cuticles downward.
- ReDip your nails for five mins, then gently push again. Repeat until your acrylics have completely soaked off.
- Buff off the rest of the smaller pieces with your nail buffer.
- Massage cuticle oil into your nails to rehydrate them, then buff it into your nails with the soft side of a buffer. Finish with another layer of cuticle oil.
If you’re both lazy and an acrylic addict, you should seriously consider picking up an electric nail file to make the process way easier and safer on your nail beds. Yes, technically, this is the ~professional~ way to do it and it’s definitely a skill to learn, but that doesn’t mean you can’t try it at home (at your own risk and by watching a lot of tutorials).
- Gently and carefully sand down the acrylics with a sanding bit, taking off the top layer of your acrylics.
- Then soak a cotton swab with 100 percent acetone, wrap it around your nails, and cover it with tinfoil, until all your digits are swaddled in foil.
- After 10 to 15 minutes of soaking, unwrap your fingers, then remove the excess acrylic with a cuticle pusher.
Rinse your hands and finish with cuticle oil.
And now you're ready to start on your next beautiful mani, check out our Acrylic nail design blog for some inspo
Also, Click here to join our Secret Beauty Circle